T-111.2350 Multimedia Technology (4 cr)
- The results of the October exam are now available (26.11.2007)
- The results of the May exam are now available (8.6.2007)
- The lecture slides are now also available in English (25.4.2007)
- The next exams are on Wed 7.3 at 16-19 hall TU2 and Thu 10.5 at 16-19 hall M (19.2.2007)
- The laboratory exercise instructions have now been published (30.1.2007)
- The English course www-page has now been published
Links to Other Pages
The topic of the course is digital audio and video, different
interchange formats, multimedia hardware, multimedia software,
multimedia communications, video conference, and multimedia
systems. The aim is to teach the basics of multimedia technology and
its effects to communications and computation technology.
The registration to the course happens through WebTOPI.
The registration is open 4.1.2007 9:00 - 18.1.2007
9:00. There is separate registration to the laboratory exercises. More
information is available at the separate laboratory exercise web-page.
The lecturer of the course is Prof. Petri Vuorimaa. The main assistant
is Jussi Teirikangas.
The news group of the course is opinnot.tik.mmtekn.
The requirements of the course include exam and laboratory exercise.
One can get an extra grade (3 points) from excellent laboratory
exercise to the final grade. The exam has to be
passed with minimum grade of one (1), though.
The lectures of the course are in Finnish. The lecture slides will
later be available also in English.
18.1 Arrangements (slides & handouts)
- Lectures hours
- Laboratory exercises
- What is multimedia
- Multimedia systems
- Quality of service
- Synchronization & orchestration
- Value chain
- Multimedia computers
- Video and graphics
- Telephone, video conference, and networks
- CD and DVD
- USB and FireWire
- Video for Windows, DirectX, and ActiveMovie
- Browser based software architecture
- Distributed software
- Digital audio
- Psycho acoustics
- Digital presentation of sound
- Digital images
15.3 Audio and Video II (slides
- Video signal
- Camera sensors
- Color television
- Compression systems
- Basics of video compression
22.3 Interchange Formats (slides
- Application areas
- Track and object model
- Real-time transfer
- Different transfer formats
- Production process
- Development areas
12.4 Quality of Service (slides
- QoS implementations
- Integrated Services
- Differentiated Services
- Group control
- Real-time transfer and control protocols
- Resource reservation
- Session control
- Internet telephony
- CTI (Computer Telephony Integration)
- Cable television
- Digital subscriber lines
- Digital television
The lectures of the course will be given on Thursdays at 10:15 - 12:00
Computer Science Building lecture hall T1. The first lecture will be on
Thursday the 18th of January.
This year the lectures will be given only in Finnish.
The course has lecture notes, but they are in Finnish. For those, who do
not understand Finnish, the following book is recommended:
- Ze-Nian Li and Mark S. Drew, Fundamentals of Multimedia,
Prentice Hall, 2004.
The exam results are available here.
Links to the the old web pages of the course are here: